This is my (James) ultra light minimalist carry on only packing list. Everything pictured below is what I am taking, we are heading off for a minimum of 8 months. Going to Thailand/Vietnam/Japan/Philippines/Singapore/Malaysia and India.
So here we have it, in no particular order;
- 13″ Macbook + Charger
- Power bank
- 1Tb Hard drive
- GoPro hero 5 + Stick
- Cables for phone/laptop/GoPro
- 6 Usb Charger
- Beard Trimmer + Charger
- Large Microfibre Towel
- Small bag containing, Bandaids/alcohol wipes/rehydration sachets and anti diarrhoea tablets (a must)
- Kathmandu pocket pack 15L V4 (such a handy daypack)
- Lightweight steel cable and 2 padlocks, for bags and lockers
- Travel wallet containing flight documents/travel insurance/spare cards and extra cash
- Zero Shoes sandals
- Toiletries bag containing suncream/mosquito repellent and toothpaste/toothbrush (everything else i’ll buy over there)
- A pair of lightweight adidas trainers
- A lightweight but warm sweater
- Big packing cube contains 5 pairs of shorts, 4 singlets, 2 t-shirts, 1 light shirt
- Small cube contains 4 pairs of underwear and 5 pairs of socks
And thats literally it. On my travels i’ve seen so many people over packing, and even done it myself when i was in Vietnam a few years ago. Nothing ruins an already stressful travelling day like an overly heavy backpack!
Laundry facilities are literally everywhere, and so cheap to get done, so don’t over do the clothes!
All of this fits in my trusty Osprey Farpoint 40L backpack. In my opinion it’s the perfect travel backpack, especially if your planning to do it hand luggage only. It’s super lightweight and opens up like a standard suitcase, and also has a padded laptop sleeve. Maximise the space with packing cubes and you are all good to go!
If you’re planning on travelling hand luggage only keep your pack below 7kg!